"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." Aristotle

Sunday, June 10, 2007

One Life Lost: Is One Life To Many


The Headline?
I read this article earlier today, and while it saddened me that once again, life has been lost, I didn't know how it would affect me personally. Well, I suppose I should rephrase that, it doesn't affect me personally, it affected someone whom I love very dearly.

Everyday it seems as if the war over there creeps closer and closer to home. My only experience so far with injuries in Iraq have been with a dear friend whose life has been forever altered. He was lucky though, he lived. Even though, half of his face was blown off and he lost an eye, he is alive. It's been two years since that happened and his life is still in limbo. He is still going through surgeries, procedures, etc, with no end truly in sight. His life and his families lives have been forever changed. But yet, they give me hope, for they have prevailed and made the best of the circumstances.

People ask me all the time how can I oppose something that the love of my life is doing. My answer is simply this: It is his job. He is part of our military and he does what he is ordered to do. Does he want to be there? No, I'm sure he doesn't. I know he would rather be here with his family, safe and sound every night, as opposed to wondering if the next mission will be his last, or if his friends will make it back alive and in one piece. It isn't him or the troops I oppose, it is this war. It is our reasoning for being there.

The piece I wrote earlier about those of us who are left behind focused on feelings that I struggle with, anger I deal with. Not directed at him, but at the situation. At this stupid senseless war. At the reckless disregard our government has about placing our men and women in a situation where they can't prevail. The enemy is unseen. The enemy remains hidden behind the normalcy of life. Those who oppose our presence there are many, we are few.

Today's headlines will be the same tomorrow, just as they were yesterday. The same result, just different incidents involving different people. When will it be enough? How many more lives will be taken before this madness ends?

How many more lives will be forever altered?

I sit here, in the comfort of our home, safe from the dangers of the night, but yet my heart bleeds. With every incident that happens, I feel the loss of our sons and daughters, but yet I will never know the true pain, the true heartache. For I have never experienced it. I will never know what it feels like to have a buddy get killed or injured beside me, or have them leave in the morning, never to return. I will never be able to understand. I will never truly know how he feels.

I don't know how many times I have said it (it's never enough), but it's time to bring our troops home.

0 comments: