"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." Aristotle

Friday, May 11, 2007

Touchy Subject


When I was working one night, I had the most wonderful conversation.... No, not really..... A girl comes walking in, at first she seemed somewhat intelligent, nice.....But then, the racial slurs began... I was forced to endure her views on why the minorities are the downfall of America and all kinds of good stuff.... I am being tame here, because I will not lower myself and use the words she used.....

I understand I live in the south now..... But if you are in a public place and using racial slurs and someone is obviously uncomfortable, shut up.... Find something else to talk about.... I grew up in a house, (my dad is a good 'ole boy from Alabama) where I heard the term all the time and discrimination was strong... I couldn't stand it then and I certainly can't stand it now...

I don't understand that way of thinking.... Last time I checked life isn't fair for any of us....

Welcome to the world!!! Life isn't fair....So what if there are more programs out there for some groups and not for others, did you ever stop and think that perhaps it is because a group of that minority came together to create some of them? If you don't agree with it, fight is with knowledge and push for change..... But speaking ignorantly ( and yes, using racial slurs is a sign of ignorance) isn't going to cause change....

Racism....What a touchy subject..... Will we ever be truly color blind? As long as there is ignorant people in this world, no, we will not be....

Minorities......Another touchy subject..... (you hear at least something on the news everyday on this issue here in America)

I hate to burst your bubble, but unless you are a STRAIGHT WHITE CHRISTIAN MALE, then you are a minority......

Is that fair? Of course not....But when did life become fair?

I keep thinking, hoping and dreaming that the younger generations will push past these outdated ways of thinking....... Some days, I fear the worst.... We will never be able to live side by side in harmony, regardless of race, religion or sexual preference......

Is it to much to ask that we respect each others differences??? Can we, as adults, not respect each other?

"Respect is not fear and awe; it...[is]the ability to see a person as he is, to be aware of his unique individuality. Respect, thus, implies the absence of exploitation........" Erich Fromm

RESPECT:
Transitive Verb:
To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
To relate or refer to; concern

Noun:
A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem. See Synonyms at regard.
The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
respects Polite expressions of consideration or deference: pay one's respects.
A particular aspect, feature, or detail: In many respects this is an important decision.
Usage Problem Relation; reference. See Usage Note at regard.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.

Now lets break it down and began with meaning number 2 in the transitive verb: To avoid violation of or interference with.

Hmmmm.....avoid violation of or interference with...... How hard is it, as adults to avoid violating someones personal rights? That is the beauty of becoming adults right? We have the power of choice? We can choose not to violate someone? We can choose to keep our mouths shut???

Now for meaning number 3 as a Noun: Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
Once again, it all boils down to the power of choice.....As mature adults, we can hold our tongues, we can be considerate to others..... Oh, and here's an idea..... We can TEACH our children to do the same...... So that, their generation can be more open minded and learn how to live side by side with each other....

"Walk a mile in my shoes is good advice. Our children will learn to respect others if they are used to imagining themselves in anothers place." Neil Kurshan

It literally sickens me, when I hear ignorance like this come out of peoples mouth....So, do me a favor, if you are around me (and especially around my children), please refrain from making racial comments, sexual preference comments, or religious comments.....

I don't want to hear it...

0 comments: