"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." Aristotle

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Morality And Science


I was catching up on some news one day when a story caught my eye about stem cell research.(http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060606/sc_nm/science_stemcells_dc_5). Now, I am, an avid supporter of this very controversial subject and am hoping that the government will get their head out of their asses and focus on the benefits as opposed to buckling to Christian Beliefs.......

Morality has no place in Medical Science, especially when it could treat and save lives......
What I find so funny about it all is, as long as they are using private money they can bypass all the federal restrictions placed on it....

My father, being the conservative Republican that he is, and I , the very liberal person I am, have gotten into this debate time and time again. The only argument that he can provide against it, is the morality argument.....Give me something more than that.....

His stance???? God didn't intend for us to do that.... Really? He has personally stated this to you? Let me guess, it was the burning bush in the backyard, where he set down his 10 rules, and one was NO STEM CELL RESEARCH ALLOWED...... Did he add on to that, no donating blood to save someones life? Or better yet, no life support systems? Or how about Pace Makers? Organ Donation? Transplants????? Yes, I know I am being a total smart ass here, but that is me....

I get so tired of a select people pushing their morality views on society..... In my world, morality is left up to each individual..... What may be right for some, may not be for others... But guess what? We are each equipped with a brain, and I know that at least most people know how to use it. We are adults, we do have that power of choice!!! Imagine that...... Morality, is not for others to decide for us, it is our decision.....

Ok, so I am getting sidetracked again......

Back to the issue, Stem Cell Research if, it does in fact accomplish, what the scientists are hoping that it does, Is a very beneficial addition to the medical field.... How can someone honestly be opposed to all the good they are hoping it will do? Because it involves embryo's??? Big effing deal.... Sacrifices have to be made in order to save lives....... Get over it already, that has been the way it goes from the beginning of time in all aspects of life...

0 comments: